Sunday, November 30, 2014

In the Guitar Shop: Jumping In!

 

    Hello all! Erin here! :D     

     I thought it would be fun to write a few posts about what I have learned in my last year working in a guitar shop!

     If you're like me and have always had an interest in stringed instrument construction at one level or another, either to build your own instrument or to do minor repairs on one of your own, then you know how hard it can be to find good information about luthiery online. So I thought I would do my part to remedy this through writing a series of posts and giving you some great links on the subject. 


@ the 2014 Anaheim NAMM show

     Not unlike my musical education, I am more of a hands on learner than a book learner. Sure, books are great, but to me they are more for subsidiary education, especially when the subject is fairly new to you. So, when I decided I wanted to get into guitar and mandolin building, I knew that I wanted to work or apprentice under an experienced builder. 

     Having a background in woodworking, along with playing guitar, I was able to more easily get a manufacturing position. 


     Tip #1: Get accustomed with hand and power tools!


     I was lucky enough to find a job with Cordoba guitars, the type of small, custom shop I was looking for. Though it may seem cool to work for big companies like Fender or Taylor you will most likely find yourself one of a hundred in an assembly line, doing the same thing every day. That may seem okay to you at first cause, heck!, you're building guitars! Right?! ;) But you will most likely burn out and be left with a very limited resume. 



Cordoba Master series
(Torres, Hauser, Rodriguez, Reyes)

     You also may know how hard it is to find online job listings for "acoustic guitar builder" and the like so I have a tip for that too:

     Tip #2: Find some companies or builders/luthiers that you like and check out there website or contact them about jobs and apprenticeships. Like with musicians in similar genres it's a small world, so once you get your foot in the door and meet some people, you'll realize how everybody knows everybody.

     So, if you are looking to work or apprentice in a guitar shop, do some research! A great resource for finding these builders is The Fretboard Journal. They have great interviews with guitar, mandolin, and other instrument builders in their magazine, but I especially like their podcasts you can listen to here or on iTunes here and here


     And as always, enjoy the video!! -E :)
    P.S. It's pretty awesome! ;)
    

   



No comments:

Post a Comment