Thursday, August 16, 2012

Greetings! Play me some of that Bandolim!

Hey, Erin here! I want to welcome you to my blog!


Even though I now live in Utah County I am originally from Southern California. That said you will be glad to know that as I write about all things music, especially concerning the mandolin, that I will be able to delete all, or most, of the "like"s, "totally"s, and "dude"s out of my posts for your own benefit.
(Dude! Like aren't you totally stoked about that?!) ;)

For each post I will choose a topic to talk about, from strings, picks, and picking techniques to song arrangements, performing, and general deep philosophy.

Make sure to leave your comments below. I would love to hear your thoughts on the topics and if you have any ideas or have found some sweet post-yeeha north african bluegrass band please send me a line and I will check it out!

Now onto the main event!

Hamilton De Holanda

I meet this guy in 2006 at the Mandolin Symposium in Santa Cruz. (This is a great mandolin camp, by the way but that's another post.)

Born in Brazil, Hamilton started playing at the age of 5. He grew up playing the Portuguese mandolin, called a bandolim, in Choro bands. He later added on two more strings (low C's) to his bandolim giving him a larger range and the added blessing of having to tune 10 strings. Yay! ;)
When I got to see and hear him play I was throughly blown away! Not only was his technique and jazz chops out of this world but as I sat there watching him I was throughly transported.
He doesn't just have the capability to play but he has the spirit to play! Dude! He plays music with his SOUL! :) He is one of my musical inspirations just because of his soulful performances alone!

Okay, enough said. :) I would like to present to you Hamilton De Holanda!





Don't forget to leave your comments! :)

1 comment: